Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Smell, smell, go away!

The night before last, we had a toilet incident in the kids' bathroom. The toilet had a massive overflow--from the bowl AND the tank. It is a small bathroom with linoleum on the half of the floor by the toilet/tub and carpet on the half by the sink. Well, the floor filled up with water--completely soaking the carpet. Toilet water even seeped into the carpet in the hallway. I used every towel in my house just to attempt to soak up all the water. I had to stop my efforts after an hour to wash and dry the first load of towels just so I could continue the process.

I have now sprayed Resolve and scrubbed it with towels several times. Glen has had the box-fan blowing into that room for 2 days. I've resorted to leaving all the windows on that side of the house open and spraying them with Lysol and/or Oust.

It just smells so bad. I wasn't noticing it too much yesterday but when Henry got home from school, he announced that our house smelled horrible. Then he went outside to do his homework and refused to come back inside.

I don't know what to do. No one who lives in my house knows anything about household maintenance or repair. I'd love to rip up the carpet in the bathroom (and the hallway) and put something else there. BUT--I don't know how, and we don't have any money anyway.

How can we live with that stench?

No comments: