Monday, September 15, 2008

I love the opposite-ness!

Henry and Mark could not be any more different from each other. Every day, I discover even more fascinating things about my children that make them even more opposite from one another.

I'm sure quite a bit of it is their ages but Henry never really acted his age.

8-year-old Henry disappears if there is the possibility of work to be done. He gets that from me. 3-year-old Mark is always asking to help, helping without being asked, and putting things where they belong. He is so tidy that I would wonder if he were switched in the hospital but he looks just like his daddy so I guess not. Maybe being tidy is a recessive trait . . .

At around age 2 1/2, Henry announced that he was NEVER going to use the potty. [Thank goodness it wasn't true.] Mark practically potty-trained himself.

Henry hardly ever wanted to watch TV unless it was Cedarmont Kids videos and would never have watched a full-length feature film at age 3. Mark has been sitting through whole movies for over a year.

Henry always wanted to be in my lap or next to me wherever we went. He was quiet and still and generally well-behaved in public. Mark is also fairly well-behaved in public but he is much more independent and wants to do everything the big kids do--even if it means leaving me behind.

I always had to worry about Henry choking because he put EVERYTHING in his mouth--way past age 3. Even in kindergarten, I couldn't give him "choking-hazard" toys. Mark almost never puts things in his mouth--except food. However, Mark is much worse about getting into stuff than Henry ever was. Mark likes to wallow in dirt and mud outside, he smeared an entire tub of Vaseline all over his bathroom once, and the list continues.

I love those kids!

No comments: