Thursday, September 18, 2008

I did it!!

I got home from having lunch at Brad's BBQ yesterday, and I couldn't stand it one more minute. I pulled up that carpet and padding from the bathroom and the hallway. It just had to be done. The padding was still soggy. So nasty!

Once I got that outside and swept all the dirt and stuff, my dad came over with a pry-bar and got the little wooden strips loose so I could get rid of those.

I got a flashlight and lifted the edge of Mark's carpet in his doorway, and it was damp too. Ugh. So I pulled his carpet up along that edge. It was a small section that was wet so I just cut a similarly-sized section from some dry pad that I removed from the hallway to replace it.

Next, I concocted a bleach/water mixture in a spray bottle and sprayed the heck out of the floor everywhere that it had gotten wet. I set the box fan to blow that way, and it started drying pretty quickly. Mark's floor dried the quickest so I went ahead and replaced his padding and put his carpet back the right way. It's a little lumpy but I did my best.

Finally, I dug out a box of carpet runner that I had bought ages ago when my dogs were not housebroken. This stuff was supposed to go over the carpet and then easily washed. We never used it, so now I have that on the concrete in our bathroom and hallway. It looks pretty awful but it's just a temporary fix. It may take a couple paydays before we can afford to put something more permanent there.

But anyway--I did it!! I got rid of the smell, I got it clean, and I didn't spend any money.

No comments: